2011-07-31

Ant hills West of Katherine NT
"Ned Kelly's Mask" east of Melbourne Victoria, which inspired a poem that's in this blog, about 4 years ago. This tree, would have stood about 100 metres tall, I think I recall the forest ranger telling me. Can't recall the name of the state forest it's in, but it's at the top of a range on the Maroondah Hwy, out there somewhere, on a cleared section amongst other still standing huge, beautiful 'Mountain Ash' eucaplypts. That road is a favorite for motorcyclists, like many in Victoria. They make good biking roads, down there!
A moth that came and stayed in my ute for a while. Other views of it's back showed the face of the Laughing Buddha, as can just be made-out in this one, and upside down, showed a fearsome face, guaranteed to scare the fluff off a predator.
A butterfly which is common in the northern NSW/southern Queensland region. This one danced around my ute for days on end, and was courted by a male, (I guess?) in a dance which I have on video. Here it's displaying it's 'colors, or it's mask to the mate. Amazing fluorescence in it's 'teeth' along the bottom of the wings, and brilliant colorings generally.
The full moon setting one morning as I was travelling east across from the Northern Territory along the Barkly Highway, not far short of the Queensland border.